Past Projects: Planting
Since 1966 Pride Inc. has brought together caring citizens, civic organizations, and federal agencies to improve the quality of life for residents and visitors of the greater Alton area.
Below you will find a partial list of the thousands of beautification programs accomplished by Pride:
- An arboretum and street tree planting in Bethalto with the Bethalto Beautification Committee
- Planting of bushes at the East Alton Community Center with the East Alton Women’s Club
- Coordinated a tree planting program in Rock Spring Park with the Upper Alton Women’s Club and planted 500 hardwood seedlings in the area of Homer Adams Parkway by the Godfrey Lions Club and the Boy Scouts.
- Coordinated planting of 100 dogwood trees along Route 67 in Alton by Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts
- Arbor day planting of White Oaks, the Illinois state tree, by 25 area schools
- Planting of trees, shrubs, and ornamental grasses along Godfrey, Humbert, and Delmar Roads sponsored by the Godfrey Women’s Club and the Village of Godfrey
- Planted 600 wildflower plugs and 100 pounds of wildflower seeds at the northwest corner of the intersection of Twentieth Street and Highway 67 in Alton
- Planted 1,200 spring-flowering bulbs 850 in flower beds around Lincoln Douglas Square in Alton, 200 in Bethalto, and 250 in Roxana thanks to a donation from Alton Community Service League.
- Improvement of Monument Street with the East End Improvement Association. Trees were planted on both sides of the street.
- A beautification program, including the planting of flowering globe locust trees, along Madison Avenue in Wood River by American Oil’s Wood River refinery.